Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Going Green

Sunday, I ran into Marsh Supermarkets to grab a few things to take to dinner at my sister's, and I saw a clerk filling up the display with these things. It's a re-usable grocery bag. I have been wanting to get some of these things for a while now, and they were only .99, so I bought 3 of them. For a while now, I've been completely dismayed over the number plastic bags that I end up throwing away every time I go shopping. A few get reused in our smaller trashcans, and my husband uses a couple each week to take his lunch items to work, but most just end up in the trash. These bags are a very good size, and can hold quite a bit. If you look at all I bought at CVS, I fit everything into one of these bags but the TP and the larger package of diapers. I will likely get a few more once I figure out how many I need at my next grocery visit.

Becoming more "green" is something that has been on my mind for a while, probably since the birth of my daughter. I have to admit that I have shyed away from it because of the idea of being more "eco-friendly" is predominantly perpetuated by liberals to the point where it becomes obnoxious, and I am not a liberal. My daughter's birth has led me to re-consider a number things regarding how I want to bring her up. The Lord has also convicted my heart regarding His command to be good stewards. To whom much is given, much is required. We are so careless in the way that we use and dispose of so many things.

Unfortunately, I was not raised in a family that made recycling a part of our lives. That is my next step. I am going to buy a trashcan to put in our kitchen for recyclables. Recycling plastics, glass, aluminum and the like is a little inconvenient for us because it's not included in our trash pickup. The nearest dropoff is a few miles away, so it will take some planning for us to accomplish this.

Another thing I am aspiring to do is find a way to cloth-diaper in a way that works for us. I recently discovered a site where I found a free diaper pattern, instructions and fabric. I'm not too handy with a sewing machine, but my mom is, and she thinks it looks pretty easy. I'll be posting more about this at a later point.

I'd also like to learn more about composting and whether it's possible with the small yard that I have.

There are so many changes that I could make. What are some of the "green" things you do or would like to do?

(Be sure to scroll down and check out my previous post.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about the liberal/green thing. You said it well. I've been wondering about using those bags. We use paper bags because we can then drop all of our mixed recycling in it for drop off. But we also use the plastic bags for garbage liners! And here in Oregon you can also recycle those, we are lucky to have lots of programs like that. We recycle almost as much as we throw away...which is saying a lot for a family of seven! It's harder when you have to take it somewhere...good for you for getting in to that. I think you are on to something with stewardship.:) I cloth diapered my first two, it felt great to save on waste, but was especially helpful to our budget as we seem to always have 2 in diapers...but I just hated washing diapers and well, we don't anymore...wow, to even sew your own. That site was really interesting.
I've always wanted to compost. My parents did when I was growing up but that's one I've never done myself and would like too.
Sorry for my HUGE comment. Great post, Risha.
Amy