Thursday, July 15, 2010

A Meek and Quiet Spirit

I Peter 3:3-4 Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.

This passage has always confused me, particularly the part regarding the gentle and quiet spirit. I am not a quiet person by nature. I try to conduct myself appropriately in various settings, but I just like to talk...a lot! My pastor's wife recently shared a resource that has helped me with understanding the intent of this passage. It comes from the Revive Our Hearts website, and the resource can be found here.

"Meekness is the silent submission of the soul to the 'providence' of God concerning us."
Matthew Henry

Meekness is another word for gentleness. First, I noted that the I Peter 3:4 refers to a "gentle (meek) and quiet spirit," meaning that I could be a quiet person on the outside and still not be following the command in this verse. The focus here is on what is happening in my spirit, as the quote describes up above.

The meek will be at rest in the storms of life.
Matthew 11:28-30 Jesus invites the weary to find rest for their souls in Him.
Psalm 37:7 Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him. Do not worry over the actions of people around you.

The fretful will be fearful in the storms of life.
Mark 4:35-41 Jesus calms the storm while He and His disciples are in the boat. He asks them why they doubt and whether they are still without faith.

Being at rest when life circumstances are anything but restful is a sign of a meek and quiet spirit that is trusting in God. These verses are very timely for me at this point because the storms of life are certainly raging around me.

Father, I am guilty of being fretful during the storms of life. Forgive my lack of faith. Please develop in me this gentle and quiet spirit that is so precious in your sight. Help me find rest in You. Help me to wait patiently on You for Your provision.

No comments: