Friday, July 16, 2010

Day 2- A Meek and Quiet Spirit

The meek will react to circumstances with peaceful trust.
Isaiah 26:3-4 You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal.

The fretful will attempt to manipulate indivduals or circumstances.
James 4:1-3 What is the cause of fights and quarrels? It comes from wanting something and not getting it. You don't have it because you don't ask. And when you do ask, you ask with selfish motives.
Proverbs 7:21 With persuasive words she led him astray; she seduced him with her smooth talk.

Peace is the pursuit of nearly everyone, yet it seems so elusive to so many. True peace is only found in trusting God. The verses from Isaiah are such an encouragement to me. Trust in the Lord forever, for the LORD, the LORD is the Rock eternal. God is my Rock; He is eternal! He is the only one in whom I can trust. Circumstances come and go and constantly change, but God is unchanging. Attempting to manipulate people and circumstances around me fills my heart with strife and unrest.

The meek will make choices based on Scriptural principles.
Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

The fretful will make life choices based on emotions or fleeting passions of the moment.
James 3:13-18 Earthly "wisdom" leads to selfish choices and produces disorder and sinfulness.
Proverbs 19:16 He who obeys instructions guards his life, but he who is contemptuous of his ways will die.

I don't usually consider myself an emotional person. I'm generally pretty level-headed. But I don't think that I could truthfully claim to base my life choices on Scripture 100% of the time. I know I certainly make selfish choices all too often, and those selfish choices definitely keep me from having a meek and quiet spirit.

Father God, thank you for being my Rock, unchanging and eternal. You are the only One in whom I can trust. Help me to trust You and not attempt to manipulate people or circumstances around me. Thank You for the truth of Your Word. It has everything I need for life. I confess that I often neglect to consider its Truth, Your Truth, when I'm looking for wisdom. Give me a hunger for Your Word, that I may know You more and find wisdom.

Please note: For some of the Scriptures, I have directly quoted the verse(s) from the NIV version. For some of the longer passages, I have paraphrased or summarized. Also, you can find the complete list of characteristics here.

No comments: